Saturday, March 21, 2015

Week 8: Harry Potter and frogs

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" - Neale Donald Walsch



It might be fair to assume that Neale Donald Walsch was a wise man, at least the above quote is spot on. There is a reason it's called a comfort zone.
I signed up for the trip to Glencoe and Glenfinnan two weeks ago, and I kept asking my friends if they had bought tickets to join up with me. They hadn't, and it occurred to me that I was actually going to go by myself. Now, arguably this is not that terrifying, but it felt like it was at the time.
Especially because I have run out of data on my phone, so there was no chance to spend too much time on Facebook and Instagram. However, instead of being scared I choose to the positive angle:
No excuse NOT to meet new people, and no distractions.
After my trip home, and regardless of how much Glasgow was just a quick-fix, I now have 6 weeks left here, and I have two choices. I can either wallow in how it didn't go as it should have and how I would rather be somewhere else, or I could start enjoying my time here and have fun. I decided to employ the latter tactic as I believe I have the power of change in my hands.






So, as I already said I went to Glencoe and Glenfinnan today, and I had a blast. I am super tired after at lovely day of sunshine, fresh air and spring feelings.
The tour was lead by Gary, who never really fails to engage the people on the tour, no matter how tired they might be.


Our first real stop on the trip (minus bathroom break) was at Glencoe. Basically glen means valley, just like loch means lake. Scots are crazy about renaming things, however, a glen is not quite a valley, but it is close enough.
We walked into Glencoe and up the mountain, which were pretty steep.
The view, though. Whoah. I felt so tiny, and those knowing me know how tiny I am already.

 I felt so infinitesimally unimportant, and I could basically feel the air reverberating with old stories, creativity and a mystery I have not found anywhere else I have ever traveled.
The first thing I ended up asking Gary when he stopped to tell a story was whether there were snakes or not. I felt pretty silly asking that question, but regardless I remained suspicious of all creepy holes in the ground.




        



After our stop at Glencoe we moved onto Glenfinnan Viaduct, also known as the Harry Potter bridge. The weather was absolutely with us today, and we had the loveliest sunshine all day long, absolutely stunning for beautiful pictures.

It was fun to see the Harry Potter bridge, but I was slightly disappointed, I don't know why. I mean, how exciting can a bridge really be?


However, I decided to go explore with my "bus-partner" and it was just the two of us going to see things other people from the group didn't get to see.
On the way to the view point of the bridge we had to cross another bridge, and I happened to look down
at the clear, clear water.
Thinking that I could get an amazing picture from under the bridge I decided to brave the fence. Turns out there really was a reason for it.

I had difficulties finding my footing, and for 10 long seconds I saw myself landing face first in the water. Luckily that didn't happen, and I got the most stunning picture, completely with the little rainbow.

After that we proceeded up to the view point and got some pictures of bridge and Loch Shiel. No need to say that these were, of course, amazing. After our trip at the view point we set out for the loch, but we ended up getting sidetracked by a boardwalk. Definitely not a stupid way to go as the scenery there was incredible, so untouched and pure to look at.

On the way back from the boardwalk we encountered several frogs, all of which I greeted with a scream. We finally got to the beach of the loch, and the view here as well was absolutely fantastic. I know I'm repeating myself by now, but there is not many other words that fit, as Scotland really was showing off its best sides today.

                            

After our stop at Glenfinnan we were heading towards Fort William, which is just a small city.
We drove back through Glencoe, and the sensation of something being bigger than me and my life didn't disappear.
Sometimes it might even be important to remember exactly that.
In Fort William, much to my surprise, most of the signs were written in both English and Gaelic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice... :)

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS